State Bank of Hyderabad was constituted as Hyderabad State Bank on 8.8.1941 under Hyderabad State Bank Act, 1941 by the last Nizam, Osman Ali Khan, Asaf Jah VII. The Bank started with the unique distinction of being the central bank of the erstwhile State of Hyderabad, covering present-day Telangana region of Andhra Pradesh, Hyderabad-Karnataka of Karnataka and Marathwada of Maharashtra, to manage its currency – Osmania Sikka and public debt apart from the functions of commercial banking. The first branch of the Bank was opened at Gunfoundry, Hyderabad on 5th April, 1942.
In 1953, the Bank took over the assets and liabilities of the Hyderabad Mercantile Bank Ltd. In the same year, the Bank started conducting Government and Treasury business as agent of Reserve Bank of India. In 1956, the Bank was taken over by Reserve Bank of India as its first subsidiary and its name was changed from Hyderabad State Bank to State Bank of Hyderabad. The Bank became a subsidiary of the State Bank of India on the 1st October 1959 and is now the largest Associate Bank of State Bank of India.
In 1913, at the instance of Sir Mokshagundam Visvesvaraya, the Engineer Statesman, a state aided Bank, under the patronage of His Highness the Maharaja of Mysore, Sri Krishnaraja Wodeyar IV, was established.This was “Mysore Bank Ltd”. During 1953, “Mysore Bank” was appointed as an agent of Reserve Bank of India to undertake Government business and treasury operations, and in March 1960, it became a subsidiary of the State Bank of India under the State Bank of India (subsidiary Banks) Act 1959. Now our bank is an Associate Bank under State Bank Group.
The State Bank of Patiala was founded as the Patiala State Bank in 1917 by Late His Highness Bhupinder Singh, Maharaja of erstwhile Patiala state, with one branch at Chowk Fort, Patiala. The bank was setup fostering growth of agriculture, trade and industry.
The bank became Bank of Patiala in 1948, and its name was changed to State Bank of Patiala when it became an associate of the State Bank of India on 1st January 1960.
Sometime ago, SBP had tried to use a mascot 2 and a tagline — Blending Modernity With Tradition 1
The history of the State Bank of Saurashtra can be traced to 1st April 1902 when the Bhavnagar Darbar Savings Bank was established in Bhavnagar, one of the princely states in the Saurashtra region. The bank was established by the Maharaja, Sir Bhavsinghji Takhtsinhji Gohil and Sir Prabhashankar Pattani, the later Diwan. The bank was created to encourage the habits of thrift amongst the darbari servants and to provide a safe place for their, and others’ investments.
Subsequently, in the year 1950 the Bhavnagar Darbar saving bank was formed into a statutory corporation called State Bank of Saurashtra, under the Saurashtra state Bank (SBS) (Amalgamation) Ordinance, 1950 with four other Darbar banks owned by erstwhile princely states viz. Rajkot State Bank, Porbandar State Bank, Palitana Darbar Bank and Vadia state bank getting merged with it, with effect from July 1, 1950.
State Bank of Indore popularly known as Indore Bank in Malwa Region, and originally known as Bank of Indore Ltd. was incorporated under a special charter of His Highness Maharaja Tukojirao Holker-III, the then ruler of this region in 1920. In terms of State Bank of India (Subsidiary Banks) Act, 1959 the Bank of Indore Ltd. became a subsidiary of State Bank of India w.e.f. 1st January 1960 and was renamed as State Bank of Indore.
The bank was merged with State Bank of India in 2010.
The Bank was established as the Travancore Bank Ltd. on the 12th September, 1945 with the support and patronage of the then Maharaja of Travancore. Though not credited, it was an initiative of Travancore Dewan Sir CP Ramaswami Aiyer. The bank started its operations from Aana Cutchery — the then new Hajoor Cutchery (Secretariat) in Trivandrum1. We are fairly assuming that the Travancore’s two-elephant-insignia was the bank’s aswell during those times.
Att the instance of the RBI and SBI, 9 banks viz Travancore Forward Bank Limited, Kottayam Orient Bank Limited, The Bank of New India Limited, The Vasudeva Vilasom Bank Limited, The Cochin Nair Bank Limited, The Latin Christian Bank Limited, The Champkulam Catholic Bank Limited, The Bank of Alwaye Limited, and The Chaldean Syrian Bank Limited got acquired/amalgamated in to the bank.
On January 1, 1960, the bank became an associate of the State Bank of India.
Jiyo Parsi, the Government of India supported scheme to arrest the decline in population of the Parsi Zoroastrian Community in India, has launched its print advertisement campaign. Jiyo Parsi is a joint effort of Parzor Foundation, Govt of India (Ministry of Minority Affairs), Bombay Parsi Punchayet, and TISS.
Created by Madison Advertising’s Sam Balsara and his daughter Lara Balsara, the ads are laced with humour, something that every Parsi is known for. The ads urging Parsis to make more babies, and to if needed get medical help under the Jiyo Parsi scheme that funds infertility treatment for couples. Presented in a non-sermonising way, Madison has launched 15 quirky print ads. The ads have used real Parsi people and portray their real relationships. Some of the lines in this campaign include:
♦ Be responsible. Don’t use a condom tonight.
♦ Isn’t it time you broke up with your mom?
♦ Will your boyfriend ever be as successful as Ratan Tata? Who are you to judge, Nicole Kidman?
This bank was founded in 1936 in Lahore. The registered office was moved to Amritsar in 1947, an after-effect of partition.
Dr Ganeshi Lal Aggarwal, M. R. Kohli, Mulk Raj Aggarwal, Amolak Ram Suri, Jhabar Mal Chokhani, and Rai Sahi Lala Labha Ram were the early directors of this bank. Almost the same set of people also promoted Jupiter Investment Trust, from the same address — Sunlight Buildings, Mall, Lahore.  Jupiter Investment Trust’s HO was also moved to Amritsar in 1947, and in 1956 to Delhi.
The bank later went into the control of Bangur group (Shree Cements). After the bank was nationalized, the non-banking investment entity, Calcutta-based NBI Industrial Finance company remained with the group. This company continues to be a Bangur-company.
In 1993, the bank was merged with another bank that traced its roots to Lahore — Punjab National Bank. The New Bank of India thus became the first nationalized bank to be merged with another.
The bank was founded in 1943 at Lahore by Late Rai Bahadur Lala Sohan Lal. In 1945, the Bank was acquired by the “Thapar Group”,
a business group in the country at that time. In 1947, the Bank’s Head Office/Registered Office was shifted from Lahore to Amritsar and subsequently to New Delhi in 1951. The bank was nationalized in 1980. In 2004, Global Trust Bank was merged with Oriental Bank Of Commerce.
[We are trying to get the founder’s photograph; if you have, please share]
Did you know: The in-house magazine of OBC is called Aadhar
The bank was founded in 1931 in Mangalore by Attavara Balakrishna Shetty, an ardent Gandhian, freedom fighter, and minister in the erstwhile Madras Presidency and Madras state. The bank was founded to promote banking habit, thrift and enterpreneurship among the farming community of Dakshina Kannada district. The bank was founded on a Vijaya Dashami day, and so the name. The bank later shifted its head office to Bangalore. The bank was nationalized in 1980.