State Bank of Travancore (SBT) history
The Bank was established as the Travancore Bank Ltd. on the 12th September, 1945 with the support and patronage of the then Maharaja of Travancore. Though not credited, it was an initiative of Travancore Dewan Sir CP Ramaswami Aiyer. The bank started its operations from Aana Cutchery — the then new Hajoor Cutchery (Secretariat) in Trivandrum1. We are fairly assuming that the Travancore’s two-elephant-insignia was the bank’s aswell during those times.
Att the instance of the RBI and SBI, 9 banks viz Travancore Forward Bank Limited, Kottayam Orient Bank Limited, The Bank of New India Limited, The Vasudeva Vilasom Bank Limited, The Cochin Nair Bank Limited, The Latin Christian Bank Limited, The Champkulam Catholic Bank Limited, The Bank of Alwaye Limited, and The Chaldean Syrian Bank Limited got acquired/amalgamated in to the bank.
On January 1, 1960, the bank became an associate of the State Bank of India.
Tagline: A long tradition of trust