Tata Crucible Corporate Quiz 2013 Chennai Finals (External Track)
Via Madanish Kanna
1. Ted turner during one of his famous speeches – mentioned that “there would be 2 things in the future that would make all happy”. ID the things
Mobile phones & aeroplanes
2. Greece govt- ancient – during wars – inorder to lower the expenditure, what specific idea did they follow – origin of BYOD – Bring your own device
3. Who runs/owns the hotel chain called LAYA, sister entity of SOBER Islands.. ?
4. Bandev mittal – 1961.. started sweet shop, also a BAJAJ dealer.. what is he famous for now?
Lovely professional univ, Punjab
5. WANALO – social site for online shopping…funda on name?
Want Need Love..
6. What is Nokia Life tools used for?
FARMER SMS tool
Child hold pic of Kiran Mazumdar shaw – ID
Pic of an auto like tuk tuk.. whats so special of it?? Its official vehicle for ITALIAN PRESIDENT
Queen of time – London, id location – Self ridges
Logo of ZAIN telecom
Six flags.. theme park.. n USA.. explain funda on name? its in texas and texas was under six diff govts previously
Polska 1000 currency note – Copper nicus
Indian hotels – INDI
Titan watch named after a word.. – Japanese..- Tycoon
Flavoritz.. what product..- tata salt
Tata LOG.. funda
Steve jobs + TOPCOM à GLADWELL
FREE PRESS India + PREMIER padmini car + a logo à walchand hirachand
Apprecentice + mid summers night dreamà play boy mansion
1. Who is behind “10000 Startups” in India? NASSCOM
2. Which Bollywood actor started in Military Censor office at the salary of Rs. 165? Dev Anand
3. In 1744, first mail order guarantee was started by whom in USA? Benjamin Franklin
4. What is “One buyer and many seller”? Monopsony
5. Ad picture with the tagline “Ride your way”? Honda
6. Who has started “project sentum’ in India to expand their market? Schwarzkoff
7. He is an ex-chief justice of Punjab, is investigating the walmart lobbying case.- Mukul Mudgal
8. Which is the only bank that hasLatin as their language in their ATM machine? Vatican Bank
9. What was started by Pestonjee Eduljee in Anand? Polson
10. Ad picture with the line, “Fusion of Rum & Coconut”- MALIBU
11. Which brand of comics was started by Deepak Chopra ? Virgin
12. Who is been appointed as the “Pleasure Ambassdor” for HUL’s Magnum ice-cream? Trisha
13. Which beer brnad has recently changed their bottle design as a bowtee one? Budweiser
14. What was started in 1993 as the first IT training org. in India? APtech
15. Some book cover that was written by Y V Reddy (clue given was that this ex-governor was from AP)
16. Who celebrate April 6th as the Care4food day? Tupperware
17. Which business guru is the author of “The Self Destructive habits of good co.”? Jagdish Seth
18. Modern coaches by Indian Railways- Anubhati
19. Named after the son of Phoebus/Helios is the a new offering from Volkswagen? Phaeton
20. Picture of Pia Singh (DLF)
Final round Questions (it’s not framed)
1.Hugh Hefner..500$-Marilyn Monroe
2.Dented 5 in Mobile phones-Concept introduced for blind People
3.Silver shortage led to-currency notes
4.A club sandwich in Thailand- Body Massage
9.Satish Babu -Emi on phone
Who was instrumental in Britain shifting from the silver standard for currency to gold standard in 1861? [Sir Isaac Newton
All products/services offered by Richard Branson bear the Virgin tag – except one. Which is that? [Condoms. It is called Mates.
Sports lovers in the US, hassled by the vagaries of nature, covered the stadium where games were played. This resulted in a new product. What was it? [Artificial grass
What is choppy, fanning, golden fanning, flower and tippy varieties of? [Tea
Which character with filthy and unpleasant habits in Jonathan Swift’s Gulliver’s travels is a popular name on the internet? [Yahoo
What was introduced by William Pitt (Junior) to raise funds for fighting Napoleon? [Income tax
Audience Question: Income tax gets abbreviated to IT. In that context, what is UT? [Urine Tax
Round Two – Visual
Ad showing a royal procession with slogan ‘Milk richest in cream’ [Nestle
Ad showing a man on a motorbike [Royal Enfield from Eicher Motors
Mugshot of Sudipto Sen. Now in the news for …? [Sharda Chit Fund scam
Mugshot of Dr Anji Reddy. Which company does he head? [Reddy’s Lab
Image of a series of photographs of the same object from the same angle. What method of photography is this? [Burst mode of photography
Mugshot of Dhruv Shringi. Which company is he associated with? [yatra.com
Audience Question: Which product has the ISI code 1? [The Indian national flag
Which institution had a no-moustache policy for its employees from 1957 till 2000? [Disneyland
Round Three – Buzzer
Which campaign inspired Shah Rukh Khan to pledge that in his films, his name would follow (and not precede) that of the heroine? [Jago re bhai
Which company is Fakir Chand Kohli associated with? [TCS
Other than the IndiraGandhiInternationalAirport, which airport has been provided with wi-fi connectivity by Tata Do Co Mo with GMR group?
Which famous person who was the trade union leader in the Tata group in the late 1930s and early 1940s left the company because he believed that his life’s mission was something more important?
Connect the images: logo of MCF (Mangalore Chemicals & Fertilisers), Picture of UB Towers, NDTV, Pirelli and Siddharth Mallya [Kingfisher/Vijay Mallya. He has stakes in MCF, Kingfisher and Pirelli calendars have similar visuals. I did not get the NDTV connection.
Round Four – Buzzer
Connect the images: Durex, Airwick, Paras and two mugshots. [RBIL
Connect the images: Ethos water, Tata, Gordon Bowker, Zev Siegel, Jerry Baldwin [Starbucks
Connect the images: Salomon Brothers, Heinz, The Washington Post, Mugshot of Warren Buffett Berkshire Hathway
Round Five – Buzzer
(The numbers within brackets indicate the number of letters as in a crossword.)
01. Who is the owner of Artex Jewellery? (6, 5) Robert Vadra
02. Which expression came from the operation of saving a vessel from sinking by taking out water from it by using a smaller bucket? (7, 3) Bailing out
03. Which company entered Fortune 500 in May 2013, occupying the 482nd position? (8) Facebook
Tiebreaker: What instrument was originally called the X-Y indicator? The computer mouse
Name the philanthropist who donated USD 1 billion to the UN Foundation and was/is its Chairman. [Ted Turner
When introduced in the market in the early years of the 20th century, it was called Sunlight Flakes but soon its name was changed to a Latin word meaning ‘light’. Which existing soap brand are we talking about? [Lux
What was Axis Bank called when it was set up in 1994? [UTI Bank
Which was the first toothpaste to be packed in collapsible tubes? [Colgate
Which entity came out with the ‘Hang me again’ referring to the farmers’ suicide in Maharashtra? [Times of India
Which is the media company set up by Harish Thawani which shares its name with the broom stick in the Harry Potter series? [Nimbus
Who is the sponsor of the jersey of FC Barcelona? [Qatar Foundation
Which hospitality chain was named by Capt C P Krishnan Nair after his wife? [Leela
Which watch company brought out a segment of watches called the G-Shock that failed in Japan but was a success in India? [Casio
Visual – Time magazine cover: Who was recently on the cover page of Time Magazine with the theme ‘Woman Rising’? [Cheryl Sandberg
Which energy drink was developed by the University of Florida for proving instant energy to its sportspersons? [Gatorade
Which product comes in 57 varieties? [Heinz
Who owns the Kodanad Tea Estates in Nilgiris? [Dr J Jayalalithaa
By what name do we know the London Financial Guide? [Financial Times
Visual – mugshot: Nike Oppenheimer owns which company? [De Beers
Who was the Finance Minister of India in 1991 who presented the budget in tough times – when we had the forex crisis, 1999 when the Pokhran blast was done, 2000 when the Kargil War took place and in 2001 when Gujarat riots took place? [Yashwant Sinha
Which publishing company was set up in 1844 as a building and construction company and now has the slogan ‘Always learning’? [Pearson
Which whiskey producer died of an infection from a wound he received on his leg when, in a rage, he kicked a safe that would not open? [Jack Daniels
Which company has recently added a plus sign as a tagmark to indicate that it is ‘more fun, more music, more exciting’? [VH1+
Visual – Two-part print ad (1) one showing a kid watching TV and (2) the kid seeing the mother at the door turning the TV off using the remote and peering into his book. Which product? Hint: it is supposed to reflect the quick response of the product. [Fevikwick
Teams: TCS Chennai
Savoir Faire Pune/Goa
1) This product derives its name form the French word for ‘Linen’. Name it.
2) Who is an Optionaire?
3) The Idea came to Ram Chandra Sharma, an illiterate craftsman, while he was riding a bicycle and had a flat tire.
4) Who are Modelizers?
5) King Charles leased it to East India company for a yearly rent of 10 pounds in 1668.
6) When asked about great Indian brand symbols, Al Ries said the Taj Mahal and which other brand had far reaching global perception?
7) US Company had the slogan ‘Worldwise’.
8) Sheerlon… toughest material..
1) Who are Dualists in the context of Cola drinkers?
2) What is the origin of the term Supari killer
3) What is Glass Cliff
4) It is estimated that the US patent office alone has issued over 200 copyrights of it… 3 billion dollar
5) As per AL Ries the objective of a branding program is to take a word and create a “secondary meaning” for that word. Explain by an example.
6) Seven villages in Kashmir—Charsoo, Hallmullaha, Bijbehara, Sangam, Sethar, Pujteng and Mirzapor. They form which industry?
7) What is Toilegami
8) It was created by French designer Ted Lapidus. Its popularity took off in the 1970s after Reliance Industries set up synthetic fiber plants in India. What?
1) Who drink both diet and regular cola
2) Its origin can be traced back to the age of chivalry in medieval India when the sovereign dared the bravest of the brave to volunteer to undertake a suicide mission. A platter full of paan ki gilori was passed around, and whoever picked one up first was assigned the self-sacrificial task
3) women are promoted to positions that are precarious and thus have a higher risk of failure
5) The primary meaning of the word dove is “a bird of the pigeon family.” Unilever created a secondary meaning for its brand name Dove, a moisturizing soap
6) Cricket bats industry
7) Toilet paper Origami
8) Safari Suits
1) Who is a Reluctant Landlord
2) Henry Ford exported Model T to England. The Wooden crates that were used to ship the goods were used by him for what purpose?
3) What are missionwares
4) Who is a ‘Zero Drag’ employee?
5) As per Milton Friedman It is a Taxation without Legislation
6) What is Adcreep?
7) Who is ‘Raj’ in the YashRaj Films?
8) What is Returnment?
1) Someone who is unable to sell his property due to Bad Market etc. and ends up giving it for rent
2) Used it within the body of the car as Board etc- to climb and such … Thought Charcoal was a neat answer http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z13236/Ford-Model-T.aspx
3) Cups/Mugs, T-shirts with Mission statements of a company
4) An employee who has fewer personal responsibilities and so can work long hours, travel frequently, or be called in to work at short notice
6) The gradual expansion of advertising space to non-traditional surfaces such as floors, bathroom walls, cars, and the sides of buildings.
7) Rajesh Khanna
8) The practice of resuming work at a place of employment from which one has retired
1) Who is she and who is the advertiser?
2) Sketch of?
3) Stamp of?
4) Which movie?
5) Which brand?
7) What has been blanked out?
1) Zeenat Aman | Air India
3) Boot Polish
4) LaxmanRao Kirloskar
5) Famous Grouse
6) Walt Disney
8) DHL Founders
3) Movie Clipping
4) Who is he? Ad for Lanvin chocolate
1) Adriana Lima
2) Steven Levitt of Freakonomics fame
4) Salvador Dali
Most engaging brand on FB? Shadi.com
1) London 2012 Olympics. Most no. of Tickets/requests to watch
2) What is a Command economy?
3) an edible soft fruit, consisting of a cluster of soft purple-black drupelets.
4) Mobile Tariffs are 2nd lowest in the world in which country neighbouring India?
5) Jhumka Gira re…
6) Home of 7 ….city
1) Usain Bolt
2) Central Planning
5) Bareli ke Bazaar main
6) Las Vegas
Last 3 Questions between B’lore & Chennai
1) Oakley Ticker symbol – represents a pair of sunglasses
2) What is referred to as the Giant Shield/Golden Shield of Asia
3) “Every year Americans junk $80 million worth of gold, silver, copper, plutonium and palladium in what form?”
2) Chinese Internet firewall
3) B’lore Buzzed and got it wrong. With this TCS Chennai (JK & DeviPrasad) won the National Finals
AIMA (All India Management Association) NMQ – 2012_ Kolkata Finals
Courtesy: Sudhanshu Sekhar Panda with updates from Rabi Sankar Saha
1.Innovate for a better world-NIKE
2.Identify-inventor of a very famous toy:Ans:Rony Johnson of Super soaker water Gun fame
3.You will never stay in this town-alleged sexual exploits of which celebrity:John Travolta
4.Cartoon of H.Barbora
5.Afican union HQ.PHOTO
6.Lady Gaga founded a NGO for domestic violence
7.What is KozuKai:allowance given by wife to husband for his expenses in Japan
8.Lilly Ledbetter Act of 2009 in US: Equal pay irrespective of race etc.
1.”Make me feel impt.”Business woman:Mary K Cash
2.Business publication Started in 1933 by T. J. Martyn,going to end soon.Newsweek
3.Voice of Carly Fiorina
4.Voice of Jack Welch
6.NGO of Samantha Cameroon,w/o British PM James Cameron
7.Go to Olympics atheletes used Nike shoe,Martin Loutti
8. Photo of Alistair Mclean,Scottish author
9.Lilly fed better in Jan’09in US.What does it generate.Unconditional basis incentive irrespective of race etc.
10.Photo of Swampy-mobile app by Disney.
11.Live out of your dream-which co?Godrej
12.Which term originates from the fictional characters-Laura Weber,Luke Spencer: SuperCouples
1.Photo of Anuradha Mahindra
2.Photo of SS Chatwal(clue: Indian Hotelier)
3.Photo of Vinita Bali
4.Photo of Brookes,film director
5.Rohit Bal (clue: Indian Versatile Designer)
6.Marissa Mayer (clue: Work is Religion)
1.Trivia about origin of assembly line: Ransom olds
2.Mckinsey award: HBR
3.Trivia about Kappa
4.Trivia about Four Seasons Hotels
5.Trivia about Materasi company
1.Connect:Bhopal gas tragedy monument
2.The Jazz Singer:1st talkie movie
3.Photo of Paypal founders
4.Trivia about Royal Rajastan Express
6.communicate wrist band:cool man
7.don’t buy sex:Ruchira Gupta
8.cartoon on Elevator pitch.