Welcome to TBQ’s Banks in India series. In this series, we will be covering the history of Nationalized, Scheduled, and Private banks in India — only the ones that are in business now.
This bank, the oldest joint stock bank of the country, was founded in 1865 at Allahabad by a group of British pensioners. In 1920, the bank became a part of P & O Banking Corporation. In 1923, the bank shifted its headquarters and registered office to Kolkata (then Calcutta) for operational convenience. P&O Banking Corporation ran this bank as a separate entity. In 1927, the bank became a part of the Chartered Bank group, when Chartered Bank acquired the controlling interest in the P & O Banking Corporation. Allahabad Bank was nationalized in 1969.
The logo of Allahabad Bank signifies its city of origin — Allahabad. The logo symbolizes the confluence of three rivers (Triveni Sangam)– Ganga, Yamuna, and the mythical Saraswathi — at Allahabad.
Tagline: A tradition of trust
Did you know: The in-house magazine of the bank is called ‘Triveni Dhara’.